Tuesday, March 23, 2010

I'm liking me some Turkey.

After a long day of flying, I came home 2 days ago to spend about 1 hour to get ready to go on a friggin pretty cool excursion.  11 of us "deployed folk" embarked on a journey to the ancient Cappadocia (Kapadokya) about 3 hours north of Incirlik, Adana.  You all can read up on the place, but in a nutshell, it was the near to, if not, the location of the start of the Bronze Age and more well known for it underground cities, which serves as hiding places for early Christians.  A lot of the history that took place not just there, but in the entire country of Turkey, starts in early BC!  Our first stop was at one of the hundreds of cities in the area.
Then we stopped at a handmade carpet making shop.  Walking in, it was pretty amazing to see how these gorgeous pieces were made.  There was one carpet they showed us was $60K and was only about 16x20" and framed!
 
The next stop was in a valley that was once used at strictly a graveyard, i believe, but then became a city for new Christians in hiding.  These structures were not manmade, just man-altered.  The "mountains" were natural features in which the people had just carved skillfully into without ruining its integrity.  It just amazes me that people can overlook the sheer knowledge and capability the human race has and continue with war, arguments, and hatred.  If everyone could both see the Earth from orbit and these (among other) historical ruins, it would surely bring an end to all the conflicts in the world.  --- I am officially off of my soapbox now.





We then made a stop for lunch (probably later than sooner... we were all starving by that point).  The place had this view from its "backyard", if you will:



This view kind of sums up what these valleys looked like out there.  The lunch was all you can eat Turkish food... my absolute favorite thus far (besides the infamous cheesy bread) was the lentil soup.  I must learn this recipe!  I must!

After a brief stop at a bazaar where I bought nothing but enjoyed a bottle of Efes, we stopped at a pottery shop, where they (for the most part) showed us how their amazing turkish designed pottery was made.  I was lucky enough to get a shot at making something on the pottery wheel.  Uh, not so perfect.  But yes yes, for $5 its yours, if you want it!  Good deal for you, my friend!

We also stopped at a jewelry shop that briefly showed us how they created their onyx, turquoise, and other creations. Next stop was the fairy chimneys... that looked awfully phallic.  And thats enough on that.
And then we stopped at the Valley of Imagination (which the aforementioned area should have been called) where we saw rock formations that took the shape of camels, flying fish, and madonna.  Here's the most easily recognizable, the camel:   (seriously!!!)

Finally, we stopped at a winery and picked ourselves up some Capadoccian wine and some free cheesy bread and turkish pizza and ate and drank on the long drive back home.

I have come to really love this country... it is so rich with history and beauty.  Its just a shame that I am headed to Kuwait soon!  I think I'll do some research on Kuwait while I am there and maybe I will come to enjoy it too?  (Probably not.)


İyi Akşamlar!
More amazing pictures soon to come on facebook/snapfish.

2 comments: